PCI stands for 'PERIPHERAL COMPONENT INTERCONNECT'.This is a connection within the system motherboard. These include sound cards, video cards, LAN cards & RAID cards. The predecessor to PCI was ISA - which was one of the carrier connection type in modern computers.
What is PCI - Express ?
PCI-E is the latest incatation of peripheral interconnection. It is destined to replace PCI, especially in the word of video cards. Most modern motherboards have PCI-E built-in. The speed of PCI-E is another key difference between PCI & PCI-E.
PCI vs PCI-E.
- PCI-E uses a serial interface & alows for point to point interconnections between these connections points. This differs from previous PCI bus architectures that used a shared, parallel bus architecture.
- PCI cards have a peek transfer rate of 133MB/S. Where as PCI-E cards have data transfer rate of 16GB/S.
- PCI-E is much faster compared to PCI.
- PCI-E uses serial interface while PCI uses parallel interface.
- PCI-E speed is classified into lanes, each capable of delivering upto 1GB/S data transfer.
- PCI slots are standarized while PCI-E slots are very depending on the no.of lanes the slot is intended for.
- Despite PCI-E superiority, most manufacturers still use the PCI standard for their devices.
:-)Thanks for viewing !